Monday, November 10, 2008

What are you doing Veteran's Day?


Chicago Public Schools are closed Today (Monday) through Wednesday. In Oak Park, IL Veteran's Day is celebrated tomorrow so I wanted to find something to do with my son that would be fun & educational for him.

Well, he's going to be going to Soccer Camp for the day. That's right. He's 5 years old and is going to have fun for the day learning some new moves. While watching the Olympics, he said that he wanted to be in the Olympics for Soccer and Gymnastics. He asked if that were possible and I told him yes. I do believe that all things are possible and I'm going to help him. I still haven't signed him up for Gymnastics lessons but just found out how to do that and keeping it in a manageable schedule.

In an effort to let him know that Veteran's Day isn't just another day off and give it some significance, we are going to watch the "Tuskegee Airmen" (who by the way have some of the most wonderful Black actors like Laurence Fishburne, Allen Payne, Malcolm-Jamal Warner, and Courtney B. Vance), talk to some Veteran's and I just found this site to discover the website for the US Department of Veteran's Affairs that has lots of activities for kids: http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/index.asp.

Having a child has been one of the greatest things that has happened to me because it has allowed me to revisit celebrations and question the reasons why we have them. Yes, part of the day my son will be taking lessons, however, who knows, he might be representing our country in a different way in 11 years.

God bless America and thank you all for servicing our great country and keeping us safe! God bless you all.

No comments: